WELCOME TO BHS AND PAC
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to the 2015-2016 school year at Boulder High School. As a BHS parent or guardian, you are automatically a member of PAC -- the Parent Advisory Council.
WHAT IS PAC AND HOW DOES IT SUPPORT THE BHS COMMUNITY?
We want to make sure everyone knows what PAC is, what it does, and why it deserves supporting with your time and money.
PAC is the Boulder High parents association. It is the primary channel for parent communication with the school and other BHS parents through which ideas and concerns are shared and community is built. We support all facets of the BHS community through our many parent volunteer initiatives and programs which provide resources not funded by the BVSD district.
PAC is a 501(c)3 and is eligible to receive tax-deductible donations for use in our uniquely wonderful and giving BHS community.
THE BHS GRANT PROGRAM ... See where your money goes on video!
The biggest program PAC facilitates is the BHS Grant Program. Each fall, the BHS teachers and staff assess their classroom and broader BHS community needs not funded by the district. They then complete grant applications to appeal to our parent organization for financial aid.
To resource their requests, PAC conducts a Fall Drive for Funds. The 2015-2016 funds drive will begin at Back to School Check-In (August 11th and 12th) and run through Friday, October 30th. Staff members' grant requests are due by September 30th, 2015.
Once we complete the drive we total our parent donations and a team of parent reps work with PAC officers, Principal James Hill, and the Assistant Principals to prioritize, award and distribute the grant monies. By November 13th, grants will be announced, and your money will be immediately put to great uses for our students.
Highlights from the 2014-2015 Grant Program Awards will be shared with you through videos so you can enjoy seeing how your donations benefited our kids and provided teachers and staff with specifically needed classroom materials, technology and equipment. Stay tuned for these!
PAC SUPPORTS RECURRING INITIATIVES
- ENEWS - Weekly e-newsletter about current events at BHS, published in English and Spanish brought to you by PAC
- STAFF APPRECIATION - Staff meals during the Fall and Spring Parent-Teacher conferences and special events throughout the year
- GROCERY CARD PROGRAM - For further fundraising while you grocery shop
- GROUNDS MAINTENANCE - PAC's ongoing effort to maintain and improve the physical appearance and usability of the school and grounds
- LYNDA.COM - BHS community subscription to online education offering thousands of video courses on software, creative, and business skills
- REALITY CHECK - A panel discussion series with an expert panel educating parents about their teens' lives outside of school
- BHS PAC BOOK CLUB - Weekly meeting of parents to discuss topics of interest to parents raising teens and to share ideas and concerns we all face
- AFTER PROM - Provides a safe place for BHS and Fairview students to celebrate after prom
- BVSD SAC and DAC - BHS representation at meetings of the District Accountability Committee and School Accountability Committees
WHAT ELSE HAS PAC MADE HAPPEN?
- New BHS Online Directory to help our community stay connected
- New floor sweeper cleaner to help keep students healthy and classrooms and halls looking bright
- A new sound system for the BHS Auditorium
- Funding for a faculty collaboration room and teachers' lounge
- Five new filtered water fountains. BHS now has very popular and "green" hydrating sites!
- TeachBolder Foundation, providing teachers with grants for professional education
- Charging and storage carts for dozens of Chromebooks
With your continuing generosity, we will be able to do all these things and so much more! Please give what you can. Every donation helps!
Suggested donation per family: $175 ... Other $____
We welcome any questions, comments, suggestions ... and volunteers. Thank you!
With great appreciation for all our BHS parents and guardians do,
Kate Gardner and Carolyn Colman
2015-16 PAC Co-Chairs